Is Greek Yogurt Keto or Not?
Finally, you might also be wondering, is Greek yogurt keto or not? A lot of people love eating Greek yogurt because it contains a lot of protein. Therefore, it is a great way to add lean muscle. Unfortunately, a lot of Greek yogurts are not keto-friendly.
There are many types of Greek yogurt that are based on fruit flavors. Even though this makes them taste great, the fruit significantly drives up the carbohydrate count. A few popular flavors include strawberry, banana, peach, and blueberry. Because fruit has a lot of carbohydrates, this could derail the keto diet.
Fortunately, there are ways for you to consume Greek yogurt without breaking the keto diet. It all comes down to the nutrition fact, so let’s take a look at a few examples! That way, you can find Greek yogurt that works for the keto diet.
Nutrition Facts: Greek Yogurt
First, let’s take a look at nutrition facts for this Greek yogurt, which is strawberry flavored:
- 1 cup has 150 calories
- 4 grams of fat, including 2.5 grams of saturated fat
- 15 mg of cholesterol
- 17 grams of total carbohydrates, with 16 grams from sugar (and 11 grams of added sugar)
- 11 grams of total protein
Clearly, this is something that you cannot eat on the keto diet. There are too many carbohydrates.
Now, let’s take a look at the nutrition facts for this plain Greek yogurt:
- 1 cup has 80 calories
- 0 grams of fat, including 0 grams of saturated fat
- Less than 5 mg of cholesterol
- 6 grams of total carbohydrates, with 6 grams from sugar
- 15 grams of total protein
Clearly, this is something you might be able to include on the keto diet, as long as you budget accordingly.
The Health Benefits of Greek Yogurt
There are several important health benefits of Greek yogurt. These include:
- Lots of Protein: If you are looking for a great source of protein, you should think about Greek yogurt. This is a great way to build lean muscle without adding too many calories.
- Bone Health: Greek yogurt is also an exceptional source of calcium. Calcium is important because it keeps your bones strong. Consuming plenty of calcium can prevent fractures down the road.
- Potassium: Finally, Greek yogurt is also a good source of potassium. Potassium is important for your muscles and can help you keep your blood pressure low.
These are just a few of the many health benefits you will enjoy if you consume Greek yogurt regularly. Of course, you do need to make sure you do not break the keto diet if you eat Greek yogurt.
Is Greek Yogurt Keto-Friendly?
Greek yogurt can be keto-friendly as long as you budget accordingly. For example, you must make sure you stay away from Greek yogurt that is fruit-flavored or has added sugar. This is not going to work on the keto diet. On the other hand, if you consume plain Greek yogurt and watch your carbs, you should be able to consume this on the keto diet.
The Best Brands of Greek Yogurt for the Keto Diet
There are several brands you may want to consider if you are looking for Greek yogurt on the keto diet. They include:
- Oikos Plain Greek Yogurt, listed above, which has 6 grams of carbs per cup
- Too Good Yogurt, which has 3 grams of carbs per serving
- Ratio Greek Yogurt, which has 3 grams of carbs per serving
Consider these options if you are looking for Greek yogurt on the keto diet. Make sure you count your carbs if you eat Greek yogurt on the keto diet.