Frozen yogurt is one of the most popular desserts; however, is frozen yogurt keto? In general, most types of frozen yogurt are not keto-friendly because they contain a lot of carbohydrates and not a lot of dietary fiber. Frozen yogurt is similar to traditional yogurt in that it has a lot of sugar.
Even though most types of frozen yogurt are relatively high in sugar, you can still enjoy frozen yogurt on the keto diet as long as you choose carefully.
Frozen Yogurt Nutritional Facts
If you take a look at the nutrition facts for frozen yogurt, you will see that it is generally not compatible with the keto diet. The nutrition facts for a single serving of frozen yogurt, which is 1 cup, are as follows:
- A single serving of frozen yogurt has 221 calories.
- One cup of frozen yogurt has 6.3 grams of fat, with 4 grams of saturated fat.
- One cup of frozen yogurt contains 23 mg of cholesterol.
- A single serving of frozen yogurt has 110 mg of sodium.
- There are 271 mg of potassium in a single serving of frozen yogurt.
- A single serving of frozen yogurt contains 5.2 g of protein.
- One cup of frozen yogurt contains 38 grams of carbohydrates, including 35 grams of sugar.
- One cup of frozen yogurt contains no dietary fiber.
Clearly, those types of frozen yogurt are not compatible with the keto diet. No matter how slowly you eat this yogurt, it is probably going to knock you out of ketosis. Therefore, you should choose carefully if you are interested in frozen yogurt.
Health Benefits of Frozen Yogurt
Even though frozen yogurt is something that is generally not compatible with the keto diet, it still provides a wide variety of health benefits. When compared to ice cream and other dairy desserts, it contains lower levels of lactose. This means that even though it contains a lot of sugar, it contains less sugar than other popular desserts.
A few of the top health benefits of frozen yogurt include:
- Similar to regular yogurt, frozen yogurt is a great source of probiotics. Probiotics are healthy bacteria that live in your gut and maintain the health of your digestive tract. If you consume probiotics regularly, they can have a beneficial impact on your health. Multiple studies have shown that probiotics can help you prevent constipation and diarrhea. Importantly, you will only enjoy health benefits from probiotics if the yogurt has not been pasteurized. This process kills off all bacteria in dairy products, including healthy probiotics.
- If you suffer from lactose intolerance, you may be able to eat frozen yogurt. Dairy products can lead to a wide variety of digestive issues in those who cannot break down lactose. Because frozen yogurt contains lower levels of lactose, you may be able to consume this without upsetting your stomach. Particularly if you ingest dairy products that have probiotics, you may be able to consume lactose without leading to an upset stomach.
- Yogurt is also beneficial for the health of your bones. Similar to other dairy products, frozen yogurt has a high amount of calcium. Calcium is important for keeping your bones healthy, so consuming frozen yogurt regularly may be able to prevent future bone fractures.
- Frozen yogurt also has fewer calories when compared to ice cream. If you want to replace ice cream in your diet, you may want to reach for frozen yogurt. If you reduce the number of calories you consume, you might successfully lose weight.
These are just a few of the top benefits of frozen yogurt. Even though frozen yogurt can be beneficial for your health, it also contains a lot of sugar. Therefore, it is not necessarily compatible with the keto diet.
The Best Keto Brands of Frozen Yogurt
Frozen yogurt has a nutritional profile that is similar to traditional yogurt that you buy at the grocery store. If you do not purchase Greek yogurt, there is a good chance that the yogurt you purchase is not keto-friendly. Therefore, it should come as no surprise that frozen yogurt is not keto-friendly either. On the other hand, there are brands of low carb frozen yogurt that are keto-friendly. You might even find sugar-free frozen yogurt that you can enjoy without knocking yourself out of ketosis.
If you want to enjoy keto-friendly frozen yogurt, you are probably best off purchasing regular yogurt and freezing it. A few of the top brands of keto-friendly yogurt you might want to consider include:
- Ratio Keto-Friendly Yogurt: This is one of the most popular yogurt brands among individuals trying to follow the keto diet because it has a lot of protein and very few carbohydrates. A single serving of this yogurt contains only two grams of carbohydrates and one gram of sugar. Therefore, if you take this yogurt and turn it into frozen yogurt, you will have a sweet treat you can enjoy without knocking your body out of ketosis.
- Chobani Plain Greek Yogurt: If you want to get creative with your frozen yogurt desserts, then you may want to reach for plain Greek yogurt. That is exactly what you will get with this yogurt from Chobani. It contains only four grams of carbohydrates and zero grams of sugar. Therefore, you can take this yogurt and turn it into frozen yogurt you can enjoy on the keto diet.
- Two Good Low Fat Greek Yogurt: This is another yogurt you can enjoy on the keto diet. You can easily turn this into a dessert if you freeze it. A single serving of Two Good Low Fat Greek Yogurt contains only three grams of carbohydrates and two grams of sugar.
- Fage Greek Yogurt: If you have been following the keto diet for a while, there is a good chance that you have heard of Fage Greek Yogurt. You need to be careful if you consume this yogurt because a single cup has six grams of sugar; however, as long as you are cautious, you can still eat this Greek yogurt on the keto diet. It also contains a tremendous amount of protein.
If you want to turn regular yogurt into frozen yogurt, you simply need to take your regular yogurt and add heavy cream to it. Of course, you should make sure the cream you use is keto-friendly. Use a stand mixer to churn the cream and yogurt until they are thick. Then, move the mixture into a freezer container and freeze everything for six hours. Once you take it out, you should have frozen yogurt you can enjoy for dessert without ruining your diet!